FORUM.MASCHINENGEIST.ORG
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Service Terminated ? Radio down ?
Michael_K

question.gif posted on 22-5-2021 at 22:28
Service Terminated ? Radio down ?

Hello,

I've been listening to the maschinengeist.org Radio for many years and consider it the best and most authentic ambient radio station available. I'm speechless to read that the service has been terminated until further notice. Is there a reason why? How can we support? Please come back!

Kind regards,
Michael K
Brussels
Henry
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 22-5-2021 at 22:46

Yep, the service has been put on hold indefinitely due to the hosting provider going bust.

A migration to another provider is currently not planned due to lack of time and motivation on my part.

Sorry.
Michael_K

[*] posted on 22-5-2021 at 22:57

Quote: Originally posted by Henry  
Yep, the service has been put on hold indefinitely due to the hosting provider going bust.

A migration to another provider is currently not planned due to lack of time and motivation on my part.

Sorry.

I understand, but I truly hope you find the time and motivation in a near future. The radio is a real gem. :thumbup:

Michael K

JohnD

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 06:53

Quote: Originally posted by Michael_K  
Hello,

I've been listening to the maschinengeist.org Radio for many years and consider it the best and most authentic ambient radio station available. I'm speechless to read that the service has been terminated until further notice. Is there a reason why? How can we support? Please come back!

Kind regards,
Michael K
Brussels

I second this. I really love this radio, the song selection is extremely good and allowed me to discover many great artists throughout the years. I've been listening to it for more than 7 years I think (maybe more). I'll be really sad if it's gone forever.
JohnD

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 07:06

Quote: Originally posted by Michael_K  

Sorry.

I understand, but I truly hope you find the time and motivation in a near future. The radio is a real gem. :thumbup:

Michael K

I agree, there's no other ambient radio that comes close to this one. Very unique.
Henry
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 10:09

I hear you guys and I appreciate the feedback - didn't get much of that in the years, so this is nice.

TBH the whole project served a very selfish purpose - mainly so I could listen to my favorite music while falling asleep without having to worry about a playlist :blush:

My routine has changed somewhat over the years so that's why the whole thing was basically on auto-pilot and completely at the hosting provider's mercy...

I have a backup of all the files so it should be possible to port this over to a new home someday - however it's not as simple as "lift-and-shift" so that's why I would have to find some time and motivation...

[Edited on 23-5-2021 by Henry]
Christopher

Mood: Chilled.

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 17:15

Sorry.

Hi Henry, what resources do you need? I'd be happy to host as much as I can in addition to the 192 streams. Drop me a line via PM. I also love RM and will miss it if it's gone forever... :sad:

[Edited on 2021-5-23 by Christopher]

Shade

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 21:11

I wholeheartedly second the feeling expressed by everyone else in this thread. It was crushing to see the stream disappear, I have been listening to it regularly for longer than I can remember and no other ambient internet radio ever came even close to it in quality. I also often fell asleep and woke up to it, it was like a sacred garden space where I could go detach and be at peace any time I needed.

The fact that it was also free and ads-free, and that it even had such a pleasant announcer, was almost too good to be true - but it was. Such a gem, and I always felt enormously grateful for it. I'd have gladly contributed Bitcoin for it had I had any, and *when* it comes back I'll figure out how to set up a wallet and where to buy some, and finally do it.

Having said all that, I would love to help bring it back! I am a Cloud Ops guy with an extensive background in software development, and I'd be more than happy to work with you on porting the previous system to another provider, whatever it takes. Least I could do to even begin to repay for so many years of listening pleasure. Please let me know.
Akku21

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 13:29

I also wanted to thank you for hosting this amazing radio. I have also been listening for this day in and day out for many years now. I really hope you and the others find the time to relocate this service. I am also a Senior Software Engineer with a bit of a devops background, so should you need some help please feel free to ask.

Thank you and regards
Akku
maschinenfan

[*] posted on 28-5-2021 at 23:13

Another long-time listener here. Regardless of of whether you find the time and inclination, this radio station has been great and I wanted to express appreciation. Sorry that I didn't do so earlier. I'm glad to know that there's a bit of a community here and I think we'd all be willing to help somehow.

Steve
sixtyfold

[*] posted on 31-7-2021 at 06:04

Quote: Originally posted by Shade  
I wholeheartedly second the feeling expressed by everyone else in this thread. It was crushing to see the stream disappear, I have been listening to it regularly for longer than I can remember and no other ambient internet radio ever came even close to it in quality. I also often fell asleep and woke up to it, it was like a sacred garden space where I could go detach and be at peace any time I needed.

The fact that it was also free and ads-free, and that it even had such a pleasant announcer, was almost too good to be true - but it was. Such a gem, and I always felt enormously grateful for it. I'd have gladly contributed Bitcoin for it had I had any, and *when* it comes back I'll figure out how to set up a wallet and where to buy some, and finally do it.

Having said all that, I would love to help bring it back! I am a Cloud Ops guy with an extensive background in software development, and I'd be more than happy to work with you on porting the previous system to another provider, whatever it takes. Least I could do to even begin to repay for so many years of listening pleasure. Please let me know.

I'd like to second this and mention that I could spare at least a few TB from my array for RMG's music library if storage is an issue, and have helped out or directly hosted Icecast streams for years. I believe that's quite a different setup from the one used here, but please reach out if you're ever interested in getting it up and running again.
cpm

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 01:22

chipper here
from usa

i don't know how long I depended on this stream, well over a decade certainly.

If i had an idea of how many users the stream typically handled, I could get an idea on whether or not I could host it. i probably could.

I've been making do with this stream:
https://radio.stereoscenic.com:443/asp-s

but have been delusionally imagining that this stream will just magically show back up someday.

Anyway,
thank you kindly for all the years, and the introduction to all the music.

Again, within reason, I could likely host the stream if I could access the library, and the numbers of listeners was low.

and would do so happily.

thanks again:
--chipper
Christopher

Mood: Chilled.

[*] posted on 31-8-2021 at 15:22

A lonely bump, in the eternally-optimistic hope we might get RMG 2022 edition phoenixed from the ashes?

If it's partly a cost issue, give us an idea of how much might help as regular donation/contributions and I'm sure I can divert a few £ each month to the cause.

Helix

[*] posted on 21-10-2021 at 03:40

I hear you guys and I appreciate the feedback - didn't get much of that in the years, so this is nice.

TBH the whole project served a very selfish purpose - mainly so I could listen to my favorite music while falling asleep without having to worry about a playlist :blush:

My routine has changed somewhat over the years so that's why the whole thing was basically on auto-pilot and completely at the hosting provider's mercy...

I have a backup of all the files so it should be possible to port this over to a new home someday - however it's not as simple as "lift-and-shift" so that's why I would have to find some time and motivation...

Here’s hoping COVID hasn’t gotten anyone. You can PM hosting costs and I’ll definitely take a look.

I’ve been listening since before bitcoins were solicited for pizza.
Manu

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 20:43

Hello,

it must have been around 2006/2007 when I first came across your internet station. (Got into the computer age quite late ...:wink:) Since then I listened to it regularly and I don't know how many times the music was my shield against the craziness of this world. It's sad to hear that it's no longer online! Thanks for all these years, maybe one day we will hear each other again!?

Manu

[Edited on 4-1-2022 by Manu]

[Edited on 4-1-2022 by Manu]
fox

[*] posted on 30-1-2023 at 11:19

Henry, I hear you but it's been a long while with no update on this. Would you be willing to send me your backup so that I can do the work? I want this radio station back and I have a home server already. I have free time now to do the work needed on it.

[Edited on 2023-1-30 by fox]

Go To Top